Yitzhak Chernov was born in Harkov, Russia. He received a religious and secular education.
As a member of the "Hovevei Zion" (Lovers of Zion) Movement, he decided to immigrate to Eretz Israel (1882) and in Constantinople, Turkey, joined the "Bilu" on their way to Eretz Israel. Together with the group he worked at the Mikveh Agricultural School and later settled in Rishon Le-Zion and was a farmer. He also dealt in trade and brought herring in barrels from Lebanon and Turkey.
He took part in the digging of the first well in the village.
He was a signatory of the second Book of Rules and Regulations.
He was one of the farmers who signed the letter sent to the Baron Rothschild requesting the removal of the special rostrum being built for the administrators in the synagogue.
During WWI he hid in his yard member s of the Belkind family who were in "Nili" underground movement.