Belkind Eitan
Born: 1897
Residence in the Village:
Departed to:
Died: 1979
Belkind Shimshon
Belkind (Freiman) Pnina
Segal Mordechay Yoel
Segal (Lubman) Rivka
    Belkind Eitan   Belkind (Segal) Nehama    
Children:   Alroy (Belkind) Olga    Belkind Naaman

Eitan Belkind was born in Rishon Lezion. He attended shortly the elementary school ("Chaviv") in the Township. In the year 1904, he moved (along with his brother Yshei) to "Shfeya", to the school "Kiryat Sefer", set up there by his uncle, Israel Belkind for the Kishinev children brought by him to Eretz Israel.
For three years he studied there, moving afterwards with the school's children to "Ben Shemen". When he got sick - he returned to his parents in Rishon Lezion and continued his studies in the school in the Township. At the age of ten, he began studying in the secondary school "Herzliya" in Tel-Aviv and lived in Jaffa with his aunts Olga and Sonia Belkind - Hankin.
When his brother, Naaman Belkind, enlisted to the Turkish army, he started to cultivate the idea of learning in the Military School in Constantinople. In the year, 1912, not yet being fifteen years old, he went to Constantinople and was accepted there to the Naval Military School. When his parents refused to sign a waiver of their rights regarding their son, who was supposed to become the Turkish state's property, he left and moved to the Military School.
Upon the outbreak of the First World War, he was accepted to the Cadet School, and obtained an Acting Officer rank. He was then attached to the Fourth Army headquarters in Damascus, headed by Jamal Pasha, then Minister of the Navy in the government of Turkey. Being a speaker of French, Arabic, Turkish and German, he took the role of a translator.
On March 1915, the locust spread all over the country. Jamal Pasha appoints Aharon Aronson, the manager of the agricultural experiments station in Atlit, to be the supreme commander of the war against the locust, with full military authority. Eitan Belkind is being appointed to be his secretary and for that reason he moves from the headquarters of the Fourth Army to Eights Corpus' headquarters in Jerusalem, where the headquarters of the war against the locust, is located. A year later, when the locust returns again, he is being nominated to be the commander of the war against the locust in Trans Jordan and the supervisor of the military agriculture including the wheat supply in the Druze Mountain area, the Golan and the Choran. For this role he received the medal of "Iron Crescent" (the highest decoration of the Turks). When the locusts raids in Iraq and northern Syria - too, he is being loaned to the Third Camp, as an expert on the war against the locust and as the adjutant of the German professor, the expert on war against the locust in Chaleb. He received from the German army the Iron Cross for his work on this issue.
During his stay in Chaleb, Eitan meets members of the Jewish community and coaches in sports the club members of "Maccabi" there. In the city Urfa he witnesses the massacre of the Armenians and later passes on a report about that to the British army. In 1917 he returned to Damascus and was appointed commissioner of vegetables and milk supply to the military hospitals there. In the summer of that year, following a telegram which he received from his brother Naaman, he returned to Eretz Israel as his brother before him, and was too arrested on the background of his membership in the Nili underground. He goes to Damascus, to the prison, "Khan Ali Pasha" and was sentenced to death. On the Simchat Torah night of 1918, he escaped from prison while the Turks retreated from the British army.
When returning home, he dealt with restoring the family's farm which was destroyed. He purchased land in Gezer, in partnership with the Frialnik brothers, and was engaged in its cultivation. In the Sukkoth's Mid Holidays of 1918, Eitan and his father Shimshon Belkind go (along with Abraham Rappaport) to Damascus, bringing the remains of Naaman Belkind and of Yosef Lishanski to Eretz Israel, for burial in the Township's cemetery in Rishon Lezion.
In 1919, with the establishment of the association of "B'nei Benjamin" named after Benjamin Theodor Herzl and Benjamin Edmond de Rothschild, he serves as secretary of the association. Later, because of disagreements, he resigns and leaves the movement.
He returns to farming in Rishon Lezion, and at the same time, serves as secretary of the Township's committee.
With the announcement of Rishon Lezion as a local council in 1922, he is being appointed as secretary of the council. Later, he was elected as secretary of he winegrower's council and assistant to the chief book-keeper.
Due to the difficult situation of the agriculture, Eitan Belkind begins to engage himself also in business and along with A. Bubshuber, started building a cinema theater in Rishon Lezion. He purchased in Egypt a movie machine and on the Eve of the Purim holiday of 1927, took place in the Township the 'house warming' celebration of the Theatre - Cinema, 'Naaman', together with the celebration of the "opening of electricity" (electricity was installed for the first time in the Township). The artistic program was: "a concert by the leading opera singers and musicians of the Eretz - Israel ". For thirty years he devoted himself to the business of cinema and distribution of films.
He served as vice and as chairman of the Movie Theaters Organization, and as a partner of the "Yair Film"; the largest films distribution agency in the country and represented the movie industry in international congresses in Europe.
Further his Nili's underground activities, Eitan Belkind joins the Etzel underground upon its establishment. The purpose of the underground was: the kick out of the British from the country. He creates a special relationship with the commander of the internal security unit of the British army in Tzrifin and with his people; those sympathize with the Etzel's struggle against the British and help buy weapons for the underground.
With the establishment of the state of Israel and the dismantling of the Etzel, he joins the Herut movement and as a member of the movement's Center he represents her in the municipal affairs in Rishon Lezion. Later, he served as deputy of the mayors Hannah Levin and Noam Launer and manages the Finance Department and the Development Department of City Hall. When the mayor's office passes to the political left wing, he serves as head of the opposition. In this last role he brought to the establishment of a monument for the executed on the gallows, erected in memory of the fourteen martyrs and members of the undergrounds, Nili, Etzel and Lechi.
Other of his activities: member of the Central Municipal Committee of the Herut movement; delegate to the 25th Zionist Congress (1961) on behalf of the Herut movement; member of the Nomination Committee who had put together Herut's candidates list for the Knesset's election; chairman Rishon Lezion Town hall's Names Committee; manager of "Yad Lebanim" in the city and establishing the Department of the fallen on the way to the state.
In 1972, on the birthday of Rishon Lezion, he published an historical survey of her ninety years and later, publishes via the Ministry's of Defense publishing house a book "So Was It - the Story of a Nili" Member."
Eitan Belkind kept lecturing around the country on the Nili underground and the beginning of the settlement in Eretz Israel.